The month of June is Pride month for a lot of us, and for the book community this gives readers a chance to find books by LGBTQ+ Authors or that involve members of this community. I’ve seen a lot of #ReadProud challenge post floating around, and while this is not a challenge I hope you find books from this list as well, and get around to reading them. My fear however, is that I don’t want this to be a fab, cishet people reading queer Lit because its Pride Month, this should be almost an everyday thing. This #Readproud is divided into four categories. YA, Adult, Memoirs essays and Short stories, and a bonus section with a few movies.
- Grasshopper Jungle x Andrew Smith
- Bisexuality, Love triangle, Aliens bugs, Dystopian, Historical
- None Of The Above x I. W. Gregorio
- Intersex, Identity, secrets, love, acceptance
- Simon vs Homo Sapiens Agenda
- Gay, Identity, Oreos, Relationship, acceptance
- More Happy Than Not x Adam Silvera
- Gay, Identity, Loss, Acceptance, Bullying, Western Influence, Family Issues, Memory.
- Not Otherwise Specified x Hannah Moskowitz
- Lesbian, Acceptance, Identity, stereotypes, religion.
- South of Sunshine x Dana Eldendorf
- Lesbian, coming out, small town, religion, bigotry, struggle with faith, diverse LGBT characters. Racism.
- Parrotfish x Ellen Wittlinger
- Trans FtM, transition, serendipity, acceptance, bigotry.
- Luna x Julie Anne Peters
- Trans MtF, Gender Idetity, acceptance, Trigger Warned, support, forced therapy,
- Hero x Perry Moore
- Gay, Superhero, acceptance, dystopian.
- Chulito x Charles Rice-Gonzalez
- coming out love story, queer youth culture, latino, bullying.
- Rubyfruit Jungle x Rita Mae Brown
- Lesbian, Gender roles, period piece, acceptance, sexuality
- Faggots x Larry Kramer
- Gay men, relationships. coming of age.
- Giovanni’s room x James Baldwin
- coming out, coming of age, Travel, Paris, American, gender norms, societal norms, love,
- Plan B x SJD Peterson
- Androgynous, gender non-conforming, football player troupe, acceptance, problematic element, cliché love story.
- The Children of Gavrilek x Julie Kirion Chandler
- LGBT characters, magical realism, diversity, Cuban, Love, Acceptance.
- Fun Home x Alison Bechdel
- Love, Coming out, parental issues, trust, confusion.
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Shope Café x Fannie Flagg
- Lesbian, Tomboy, love, murder, mystery.
- Confessions of a Mask x Yukio Mishima
- Code-switching, Erotic fantasy moments, religion, coming of age, acceptance,
- Down to the Bone x Mayra Lazara
- Cuban American, Lesbian, homeless, shelter, acceptance, love.
- In The Blood x Lisa Unger
- Trans, Mystery, lies, not centered around transition, college, love.
- Carry me like water x Benjamin Alire Saenz
- Intersectionality, HIV / AIDS, Magical realism, secrets, lies.
LGBTQ+ Memoirs, collection of short stories, Essays
- Redefining Realness x Janet Mock
- Trans, Own Voice, Memoir
- Fire shut up in my bones: A memoir x Charles M. Blow
- Childhood abuse, Acceptance, Own Voice
- A Cup of Water Under my Bed x Daisy Hernandez
- Cuban-Columbian, race relations, love, Lesbian, Bisexuality, Transmen. Own Voice. Memoir
- Teaching the cat to sit x Michelle Theall
- religion, lesbian, catholic, love, memoir, own voice.
- Manning up: Transsexual Men on finding brotherbood, family and themselves
- Own voices, intersectionality, personal narratives.
- Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens speak out
- Transgender + gender neutral Young Adults, interviews, own voices.
- Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme
- short stories, Queer Authors, gender sterotypes,
- Labor of Love: The Story of One Man’s Extraordinary Pregnancy
- Transparents, parenthood, acceptance, sterotypes, gender norms, societal expectations.
- Quarantine x Rahul Mehta
- Indian-American gay men, family issues, western privilege + lifestyle, own voices.
Extra: Movies ( Just in case you need to put a book down for a moment or two)
- Paris is Burning
- On Netflix, Queer men of color culture, vogue + Ballroom history, Origins of “shade” and “Tea”, highly recommended.
- How to survive a Plague
- Early HIV/ AIDS activism, on Netflix, informational.
- Biopic Harvey Milk, politics, Murder, LGBT history
- Boys Don’t Cry
- Transman, Hate crime, Love, Bullying
- The Laramie Project
- Bullying, documentary, Matthew Shepard.
- But I’m a Cheerleader
- My Own Private Idaho
- The Danisha Lady
- The Rocky Horror Picture